Schedule Your Work Time
There are some of you reading this who are planning to switch off completely during the holidays - ignore all emails, not look at social media and enjoy a completely uninterrupted period of downtime.
I applaud you. It is so important for your physical and mental health to have a complete break and recharge.
But for others (the vast majority of you), that is just not realistic. And that’s OK!!! We are not here to make anyone feel guilty about their reality.
What we can do is make that more manageable for you, enabling you to still have a break but without the constant dipping in and out of work. Here’s how:
· Decide how much time is appropriate and stick to it – for some people that may be 1 hour every other day, for others it could be 45 mins every day. Then…
· Schedule it in – pick the best time of day for you. Would you prefer to get up early and get it over and done with before you start your day or do you feel more focused after lunch? Whenever it is, schedule it in then…
· Set an alarm – not to start… to stop!
· Communicate – if you are holidaying with loved ones you will annoy the crap out of them if you have your face in your phone or laptop. Prepare everyone ahead of time for what you will be doing and when you will be doing it. In fact, get your kids to be in charge of your alarm. The little drill sergeants won’t let you go a minute over your allocated time if there is fun to be had in the pool!!! On that note…
· Remove yourself – to get complete focus and maximise the time you have allocated to work you will need to isolate yourself. If space allows shut yourself away in a separate room or if not then head to a café/park/the car… anywhere you can’t be disturbed.
· Focus only on the important stuff – rather than actioning every email in your inbox, set up an email folder titled TO ACTION and move anything that can wait until your return in there. It will all be in one spot and you often find that miraculously many issues resolve themselves without your input while you are away.